27.4.15

The Fragrance Shop - Discovery Club

As mentioned previously, I have been looking at different subscription boxes to try which aren't just beauty and I stumbled upon the Discovery Club by The Fragrance Shop.
I thought I'd give it a go since it was only a fiver every 4 months. 

I think my expectations were a bit too high for this, I was expecting it to be a bit better.

I had researched this before actually paying for it, I wanted to know what I was signing up for so I checked a few review videos and blog post's, it seemed that you were going to get about 9ish samples, some people had bigger sample bottles than normal small 1ml viles so with that in mind I decided to just go for it. 


The box mine came in was not the proper Discovery Club box so that was already a massive let down.
The official box is more of a Glossy Box type thing, has the name of the product, its nicely wrapped in crepe paper and has the information bits nicely put on top of the products. The samples them self are then placed in the lovely paper wormy doodars.

Not my box. My box was just a standard gift box, a nice box at that, but not what I was expecting.


What I saw when I opened the box was a bit disheartening, the paper worms were flat on the bottom of the box, the info cards were tucked underneath that, the samples were stacked on top of each other.

What I got:

Versace Eros Pour Homme
Versace Eros Pour Femme
Guerlain Le Petite R obe Noire 
Hugo Boss  Hugo Woman
Stella McCartney Stella
Givenchy Very Irrisistable
 Dolce & Gabanna Dolce Floral Drops


So I got 6 women's and a men's perfume which is fine, but I was expecting more. The site eluded to more and so did the reviews I had seem.
The box itself costs £5 but there's also £2.99 delivery so realistically I paid £1.33 per sample.
Which I think is a lot considering if you go onto ebay and search "perfume samples job lot" you can get like 50+ of these samples for like a tenner. 


The info card does come with £45 worth of discounts which is nifty and if I DO find myself wanting to buy any one of these perfumes, it will come in handy. You know I love a discount!
I have al;so given one of the vouchers to a friend who I know uses one of these perfumes so that's also a nice little thing you can do with them. 


So the packaging is not the advertised packaging, that's strike one!
The contents seem to be less than stated online, that's strike tow!
Third strike for me was the fact that 3 of these viles of perfume were half or more than half empty.

These were unused, fresh out the cardboard box.

I'm really not sold on this.
I DO think it is a great way to try new perfumes, its not always easy to know how a perfume will smell when its on those cardboard scent stickies they give you. And perfume often changes scent with your body after some time anyway. So this is a great idea. I definitely do like some of the choices I have tried in this box. But for nearly 8 quid, Im not sure it's worth it.

I am however not going to cancel my subscription just yet because I emailed them and they did reply very fast and apologised for the incorrect packaging. And offered a further discount as a "sorry". 
So fair is fair, Im going to give them another chance...
Watch this space!

 photo 12_zpsiexl6lgv.jpg
links: twitter // tumblr // instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your feedback or comments :)